The majority of research in Dr. Bou-Abdallah’s lab is performed by undergraduate students.
Dr. Ayush Srivastava joined the lab in 2020 as postdoc, supported by a recent NSF grant award.
Research Group (2023-present)
Left to right: Ayush Srivastava (Postdoc), Aliaksandra (Sasha) Reutovich (Postbac, Double Major: B.S. Biochemistry, Biology), Dr. Fadi Bou-Abdallah, Maximilian Beyer (undergrad, B.S. Chemistry), Colby Hladun (undergrad, B.S. Chemistry), Farida Ibrahim (undergrad, B.S. Biology)
Dr. Ayush K. Srivastava (Postdoc 2020-2022)
Dr. Srivastava received his Ph.D. in Molecular and Transitional Biotechnology from the University of Brescia, Italy. Prior to his Ph.D., he had 4 years of Industrial experience in Biosimilar and Bio-therapeutics research in India. He is currently a postdoc in Dr. Bou-Abdallah’s lab.
Best Graduate Poster Presentation at the Northern New York Local Section of ACS, 11th Annual Research Symposium (2nd place).
Gideon L. Smith (Undergraduate)
BS in Chemistry, minors in Biology and Wilderness Education
Expected graduation date: May 2023
Future plans: A PhD degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry, and possibly pharmacology or other health sciences.
Chemistry Department Scholar Award (2020)
Chemistry Departmental Service Award (2021)
American Chemical Society Award (2021)
Undergraduate Physical Chemistry Award (2021)
Aliaksandra (Sasha) Reutovich (Undergraduate)
Double major in biochemistry and biology
Expected graduation date: May 2022
Future plans: Apply to M.D/PhD programs to pursue a career as a physician scientist to treat genetic diseases.
Major Recent Awards:
American Chemical Society Award, April 2020
Dr. Alexander & Genevieve Major Science Scholarship Award, March 2021
Barry Goldwater Scholarship Award, March 2021
Biology Departmental Scholar Award, May 2021
Winner of the SUNY Potsdam Provost’s Award for Excellence in Student Research (2021)
Nathan J. Hunter (Graduate Research Assistant/Technician)
Biology major (graduated in May 2021)
Future plans: A career in virology or immunology research
Lucas J. Scalcione (Undergraduate)
Major (B.S.) in Biology, minor in Chemistry
Expected graduation date: May 2025
Future plans: Applying for medical school to obtain an MD or DO degree and specialize in the field of ophthalmology.
Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award (2022)
Northern New York ACS Research Symposium Poster Presentation: 1st place
SUNY Potsdam Learning and Research Fair: 2nd place (2022)
Kilmer Grant Award Winner (2021, 2022)
Maximilian K. Beyer (Undergraduate)
Future plans: PhD Degree in Chemistry
Kilmer Grant (Summer 2022)
Colby R. Hladun (Undergraduate)
Major (B.S) in Chemistry.
Expected Graduation Date: May 2022
Future Plans: Applying for a PhD in chemistry and pursuing a career in chemistry research.
SUNY Potsdam Chemistry Departmental Scholar (2022)
Alexander G. Major Award (2022)
Undergraduate Research Students (Alumni and Current) that I have Mentored and Supervised
(The information below is accurate to the best of my knowledge; years in parenthesis are times the students spent in my lab)
- Hiba Iqteit (2007-2008)- Master of Education in the Health Professions; John Hopkins
- Gustavo Gonzales (2007-2008)- MD degree (Saint James School of Medicine)
- Adeola Awomolo (2007-2010)- MD degree in Pediatrics (SUNY Upstate) (awarded); (Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor Award for Student Excellence, 2010)
- Banu Kandemir (2007-2010)- PhD in Biophysical Chemistry; Univ of Rochester
- Huidong Yang (2008-2010)- PhD in Neuroscience; Univ of Michigan
- Justin McNally (2008-2012)- PhD in Biochemistry; Univ of Michigan
- Brenna Cooper (2008-2012)- Nursing Degree; SUNY Plattsburgh
- Tyson Terpstra (2009-2012)- PhD in Biophysical Chemistry; Univ of Buffalo
- Rudy Conrad (2011-2012)- High School Chemistry Teacher
- Mariama Diallo (2011-2012)- PhD in Chemistry
- Sean Atkinson (2010-2012)- PhD in Biochemistry
- Deneen Cole (2011- 2012)- PhD in Biochemistry; Univ of Washington
- Matthew Mehlenbacher (2011-2014)- PhD in Chemistry; Dartmouth College
- Jennifer Ebert (2013-2014)- PhD in Chemistry; Univ of Rochester
- Sam Sprague (2013-2015)- Masters in Chemistry
- Abigail Widrick (2013-2015)- Masters in chemistry
- Thomas Giffune (2013-2016)- (Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor Award for Student Excellence, 2016)
- Britannia Smith (2013-2017)- PhD in Biomedical Sciences; SUNY Upstate
- Lara Varden (2015-2017)- PhD in Interdisciplinary Biosciences and Biotechnology; Clarkson Univ.; (Recipient of the NSF Graduate Fellowship Award, 2019)
- Spurgeon Smith (2015-2016)- Chemist at Clean Harbor, Albany, NY
- Daniel Coelho (2016-2017)- Biotech Production Specialist, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, NY
- Alaa Farghli (2016-2017)- PhD in Biochemistry; Cornell Univ.
- Lindsay Johnson (2016-2017)-Biotech Production Specialist, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, NY; Lindsay received a Masters in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of Florida in 2020, and will soon be enrolled in a PhD program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor Award for Student Excellence, 2017).
- Kedwin Ventura (2016-2017)- Working towards an MD degree
- Dana Reid (2016-2017)- The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, VCOM/Virginia; (Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor Award for Student Excellence, 2017)
- John Paliakkara (2016-2019)- SUNY Upstate Medical School; (Recipient of the SUNY Chancellor Award for Student Excellence, 2019)
- Nicholas Flint (2016-2019)- PhD in Chemistry; Colorado State Univ
- Heidi Kreckel (2018-2019)- PhD in Biochemistry; Colorado State Univ
- Aiden Farragher-Gnadt (2017-2018)- PhD in Chemistry; Univ of Rochester
- Gabriella Holevinski (2017-2018)
- Michael Igbanugo (2017-2018)- Stony Brook U, Bio lab instructor; PhD in Chemistry?
- Aaron Charlack (2020-2021)-PhD in Chemistry-Univ of Pittsburgh
- Aisha Laguda (2018-2019)
- Gideon Smith (2017-present)
- Aliaksandra A Reutovich (2017-present)
- Cass Welsh (2020-present)
- Ruth Reichard (2020-present)
- Maximilian Beyer (2022-present)
- Colby Hladun (2022-present)
Visiting PhD Scholars/Postdoc
- Elise Abi-Khalil (Visiting PhD Student from France): Elise visited my lab in 2014-2015 for training and a year later received her PhD in Chemistry in Paris, France.
- Ayush Srivastava (Visiting PhD Student from Italy): Ayush visited my lab for 7 months training (Nov 2018 – May 2019); He returns to Italy later that year and received his PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Ayush returned to my lab in October 2020 for a 2-year postdoctoral position supported by an NSF grant.